Climate averages table extended
1 October 2016
The climate summary available here has been extended with 4 new fields. These are:
- Avg monthly high - For a particular month, say January, this is calculate by taking the highest temperatures for each month of January available in the data history and averaging them. An alternative description is that it is the top temperature that can be expected in a given January.
- Avg monthly low - Similar to above, but for the lowest temperature in a given month.
- Highest precipitation - The highest total rainfall recorded for each month.
- Lowest precipitation - The lowest total rainfall recorded for each month.
Caution: A typical climate data table spans 30+ years. As there is only 6-7 years of data recorded by Howick weather station so far, these figures are not necessarily representative values of the long-term climate in Howick.
Climate averages table now available
30 August 2015
On the History > Tables page a climate summary table is now available. This table contains averages and extremes for each month, sort of like climate tables you see on Wikipedia. See it here.
Caution: A typical climate data table spans 30+ years. As there is only 5-6 years of data recorded by Howick weather station so far, these figures are not necessarily representative values of the long-term climate in Howick.
Welcome to the new website!
12 September 2014
Welcome to the new website of Howick Weather Station. This website has been rebuilt using all of the new skills and knowledge I have gained through my recent web development study and experience. The main aims I had in mind while building this new site were:
- A more professional design
- Better organisation of content
- More focus on key data, less focus on other data that most won't find interesting
- Take advantage of the now-widespread browser support for modern web technologies
- Greater interactivity
- Optimise for desktop and tablet displays
- Better programming practices (easier to modify and maintain the website)
The website uses modern web technologies to display interactive and dynamic content. Old browsers are not supported. This includes Internet Explorer 8 (and below) as well as old Android browsers.
The website has been tested and runs as expected in the following browsers:
- Google Chrome 36.0
- Mozilla Firefox 31.0
- Internet Explorer 11
- Mobile Safari 7
- Opera 24.0
There are several new features on the new site:
- Home page updates live - every 5 seconds!
- Preferences (menu: gear icon). You can customise the units that the weather data is displayed in.
- Records page (menu: History -> Records) now includes records by calendar month and also a top 10 feature.
- Downloads page (menu: History -> Downloads). You can now more easily download data if you need to.
I would love to hear any feedback on the new website, and if you find any problems I would be most grateful if you would alert me to it so I can get working on a fix. If you are reporting an issue, please give as much detail as possible. Send feedback to:
Thank you for visiting and I hope you enjoy the new site!